Replace a Leaking Washing Machine Hose in London
Updated on Tuesday 31st August 2021
Rate this article 7 reviewsbased on
A burst washing machine hose can create a real disaster in your home. The worst-case case scenario, the washing machine hose fails when you are at work or on your holiday. This leads to catastrophic flooding which involves paying your deductible expenses from the insurance and having a construction team tearing out the damaged drywall and flooring. To make sure that does not happen, our plumbers in London explain how they replace a leaking washing machine hose in London. If you need any plumbing job in your house in London, our professionals can help you.
The most common leaks caused by washing machines
The washing machine is indispensable which is why it is found in every home in London. Given the fact that it is not one of the cheapest appliances, homeowners will usually make sure it works correctly. However, once they age, washing machines can get broken or, most commonly start leaking. The most common leaks of a washing machine are:
- at the inlet connections of the pipes going inside the mechanism of the washing machine;
- at the belt drive which keeps together the entire mechanism of the washing machine;
- at the air dome seal which no longer closes completely and lets water out of the machine;
- at the center post gasket which can also get worn out and no longer seal the cap between the belt and the tub;
- the outer tub seal which is made of rubber and which can simply dislocate during the rotation of the tub;
- the hose connectors and the hose through which the water is eliminated out of the machine.
Most of the times it will be the washing machine hose to cause problems and our plumbers in London recommend you call us if you cannot fix the problem yourself. For any other plumbing issue, you can always address to our local plumbers for advice on the most suitable approach.
You must also know that if you observe a washer hose leaking, this does not mean that the problem you have is very serious; in most of the cases, it can be resolved very fast and with very few impediments, but even if you think that the respective issue is a minor one, we do not recommend you to handle the situation yourself, as this can create more problems, especially if you do not have any technical background.
In very few situations, when one observes the washer hose leaking, this leads to major household issues and large financial investments – for instance, replacing the washing machine with a new one. This can happen in certain circumstances, such as when the washing machine is very old and it represents a model for which one can no longer find suitable parts.
Although in numerous situations, the washing machine can be fixed, it is a common event to actually replace the washing machine with a new one as the costs for repairing the old appliance can be higher than purchasing a new washing machine. There are also various incentives that are given to persons purchasing electrical appliances that are created for the purpose of stimulating the consumer market to buy products that are more energetically efficient.
Thus, in practice it can actually happen to replace the entire washing machine when the appliance has a more complex technical issue to be resolved. Regardless of the situation, you can always address to our plumber in London, who can arrive at your premises and provide you with advice on what the best approach is for you.
In most of the cases, when you observe a washer hose leaking, this issue will be resolved in a timely manner and reduced costs. The costs can increase provided that the hose is extremely damaged or if our local plumbers will observe additional malfunctioning issues.
Internal and external hoses in washing machines, presented by plumbers near me
The washing machine is a very complex home appliance and it is always required to resolve any issues with the assistance of a professional, as persons without expertise in this domain can actually cause more damage and this can lead to the need of replacing the said appliance. In this case, the help of a plumber in London is always required.
Numerous persons are not aware that the washing machine has not only external hoses, but internal hoses as well. The internal ones will connect the inlet valve to the tub and detecting a leak caused by an internal hose of the washing machine is quite hard. The leaking of the internal hose of the washing machine will usually happen during the fill cycle, however, this is not enough to know that the leak was caused by that hose.
The external hose is the one connecting the washing machine to the water supply line. Through it, the water will enter the machine during the fill cycle and go out during the evacuation of the water. When dealing with an external hose washing machine leak, the problem is quite easy to detect, however, the owner will still be required to pay attention to other aspects, such as verify the entire machine in order to find out if the problem is more extensive. In certain cases, requesting professional help from an emergency plumber in London is recommended.
Leaking washing machine hose when the drain is blocked
Another common problem of the washing machine is for the drain to get blocked, case in which the first leak will appear at the hose. When dealing with such an issue it is strongly recommended calling for help, as a clogged drain can lead to serious floods.
There are several causes which can lead to leaks because of the drain. In older homes in London, the drains are usually undersized, and the quantity of water evacuated during a washing cycle can be too large and thus cause hose leaks.
Other times, the drain is simply clogged and even if the homeowner pours substances that should dissolve the drain, there are situations in which these are not enough to solve the problem. Moreover, a clogged drain can cause great pressure which can lead to the washing machine hose to simply burst. Our plumbers in London can help you sort out any problems related to the washing machine and the drains.
The procedure of replacing a leaking washing machine hose in London
To replace a leaky washing machine hose in London, the following steps are taken; if you need more details concerning the steps presented below, we invite you to request information from our plumber in London, who can better explain the entire procedure:
- turning off the water - the water supply valves towards the washing machine must be turned off prior to starting the replacement of the hose;
- removing the hose from the washing machine - our plumber in London will make sure to eliminate all the water left in the washing machine;
- the hoses are taken out from the wall connections and then, the hoses are drained in a bucket or a similar object;
- setting up the new washing machine hoses in London - first, our plumbers in London ensure that the rubber washers are installed in every hose end and then, Teflon wraps will be used for the wall connections and the washer connections (the hoses do not have to be overtightened when they are connected to the supply valves);
- the hose from the hot connection of the washer to the left connection on the wall supply valve is connected and the same goes for the other hose to the right connection of the wall supply valve;
- the water is turned on and the washing machine is verified for leaks - in case our local plumbers might spot a leak, they will gently tighten the connection;
- testing the washing machine - the washing machine is started as normal and the washer is let to fill for several seconds and then it is turned off, in case there are no leaks.
Why do washing machine hoses leak in London?
It is a question our emergency plumber in London often gets from our clients. The main reason for which the washing machine houses leak is caused by the fact that they are made of rubber, which is a material prone to various mechanical damages.
As this material ages, it decreases in flexibility. This is given that over the years, the pressure of the water has an effect on the quality of the rubber, which will eventually leak. Instead, you can go for the stainless steel braided hoses for your washing machine, which are more resilient to bursting and they are quite cheap.
While the washing machine is washing clothes, through the supply hose will run approximately 650 gallons of water (this can depend on the program, but also on the type of washing machine), measured for an hour. This represents a heavy flow of water. This is why, a washing machine with an old supply hose can get damaged. Most of the times, insurance companies dealing with house damages report ruptured washing machine hoses as the main cause of the damage, which is why it is important to treat such a problem seriously.
It is also good to know that most washing machines start developing problems after 5 years from the purchase, while the hose can start to cause problems after approximately 8 years. The water supply and drain systems should also be well taken care of, and by that, we mean periodical inspections which in the future can help you save a lot of money usually spent on repair jobs.
If you are dealing with a problem with the washing machine or any other appliance in your home, our emergency plumber in London can help you in various matters. Among these, washing machines, refrigerators, hobs, and stoves are just a few of them. Whether you need to have them fixed or replaced, our local plumbers can handle any job.
What is the data on washing machines ownership in the UK?
The UK has one of the largest shares when we refer to owning a washing machine. The washing machine represents a common and basic commodity that can be found in the UK homes and apartments and even though one does not own a washing machine, the person will most likely find this appliance in a rental home or apartment.
This is given by the fact that the UK has started its industrialization process decades ago and the market for various electric appliances, such as the washing machine, refrigerators, microwaves, TVs and others grew at a rapid pace throughout the decades. This is why a washing machine can now be found in almost all British homes. With regards to this, we present the following:
- in the 1970s, the washing machine could be found in 65% of all British homes;
- a market share above 90%, of 91%, was achieved in 1996;
- since then, the share is close to 100% - in the financial year of 2017-2018, the latest data showed that the washing machine ownership reached 98%;
- according to the UK Energy Research Centre, using a washing machine at 40 degrees C will result in a 40% lower energy consumption compared to washing the clothes at 60 degrees C – the standard energy consumption recorded in 1999 was of 268kWh;
- along with the washing machines ownership, in the UK it was observed that from all the washing machines owners, 62% of them also own a tumble dryer.
Tools used to fix washer hose leaking in London
If you decide to address to our plumbers in London to fix the leaking washing machine hose, our team will arrive at your home with specific tools that should resolve this issue. Our plumber will have to use a screwdriver (most commonly, the 4 in 1 model will be used); a tool that any plumber must have regardless the plumbing issue is the adjustable wrench.
The toolbox will automatically include a hammer and a putty knife. Our plumber will also have a socket or a ratchet set. When you will address our plumber in London, you should describe as clear as possible the situation that you have in your home, so that our team can bring additional tools and materials.
The materials will represent the spare parts that will replace the washer hose leaking and when you will contact us, our plumber will present the options and models that you can use for your washing machine type, so that you can select the one that is more to your liking (and suitable for your budget).
We can also help you choose the right appliances for your home in London when you need to make any purchases. In case you would like to find out more about how to replace a washing machine hose, or if you need any plumbing services in London, please feel free to contact our local plumbers.