What Are Acrylic Bathtubs and Showers?
Updated on Monday 18th December 2017
Acrylic bathtubs and showers are fabricated from a sheet of acrylic which is usually four, five or eight millimeters thick. The material is then reinforced from underneath, generally with a wooden or steel support frame. Next, this is covered by spraying on the fiberglass reinforcement, which results in a strong enough bath or shower at a convenient price. Our plumber in London can help you set up such a tub or shower in your bath, if you decide to do so.
Advantages of acrylic bathtubs in London
Acrylic bathtubs in London bring numerous advantages, among which our plumbers in London would like to mention:
• They are cost-effective. A quality bath made of acrylic is generally less expensive than a similar quality one made of steel, since it is easier to make and is mass-produced;
• Acrylic tubs and showers are warmer to touch than if they were made of, for example, steel;
• This material is non-porous, which makes it easy to be cleaned, and avoids the formation of mold and bacteria on its surface. It is also easy to get rid of scratches and to be polished;
• At the present, they are quite strong. A good quality one can be made of several layers of rock-solid resin, which makes them sturdier than steel baths, but less expensive;
• Acrylic can be shaped into all kinds of forms and designs, offering a wide variety which matches all bath styles. If you are looking for an affordable bath with a square internal design, which is, in our London plumbing professionals’ experience, very trendy at the moment, acrylic is definitely going to match your desires, at an affordable price.
Acrylic versus fiberglass tubs and showers in London
Acrylic and fiberglass bathtubs are two of the most used tubs. They are quite similar, since they are both molded in plastic.
Acrylic bathtubs have fiberglass inside them, however, they are fabricated by a different process. They are heated, stretched out on the mold and then vacuumed in their final forms.
The final item looks similar. Although acrylic showers usually have a ceiling, they are very identical from the durability point of view.
In case you would like to know more about acrylic showers and bathtubs, or for any plumbing services in London you might need, we invite you to speak to our friendly staff.