Plumbing Materials: Pros and Cons
Updated on Saturday 05th August 2017
Pipes can be made of different plumbing materials which have certain pros and cons. Fortunately, there is more than one choice that you can go for when repiping your house. In our plumber in London experience, the most common ones are PEX and copper pipes.
PEX pipes in London
The PEX pipes are made from a high-density polyethylene (HDPE). PEX contains cross-linked connections in the polymer structure, turning the thermoplastic into a thermoset.
According to our plumbers in London, PEX pipes have the following pros:
• They are very versatile, being able to be embedded into walls with ease and to extend through the home with only one piece;
• PEX pipes can be utilized for the hot and cold water supply;
• They are the fittest for retrofits;
• They are extremely heat resistant.
However, they present the following cons:
• Because of the way they are fabricated, there are numerous environmentalists who claim they might present the risk of contaminating the drinking water;
• However, this type of pipes were approved to be used in certain states under the strictest regulations. Our plumber in London can offer more information on this matter.
Copper pipes in London
Copper is often used as a metal base, being extremely durable and easily transformed in all types of handy items, like sinks, electrical wires and cooking pots.
Our London plumbing professionals believe that pipes made of a copper plumbing material present the following pros and cons:
• Have been utilized since the ‘60s and are still working accordingly in most of the houses, having a proven reliability;
• Can be utilized in indoor and outdoor plumbing;
• Present a high tolerance for heat;
• They can be recycled.
• Copper pipes have a low resistance for freezing temperatures, not being appropriate for all climates;
• They are quite expensive.
In case you need to know more about the types of pipes and their pros and cons, or for any plumbing services in London, please get in touch with our local plumbers.